Monday, August 9, 2021

Johnnycakes (Cornmeal almond pancakes)

 I made these a couple of years ago and thought they were the best pancakes I ever made. If you know me you know I had a traumatic pancake experience as a kid (ate too many, to be polite, if all things), and I avoid cakey flapjacks (and muffins, for that matter) like the plague.

These are yummy and slightly crispy and dense and delicious, in their own or with syrup or (my favorite) a little drizzle of honey.

I made it dairy-Kaiden instead of vegan this time and I’m glad I did. Whole milk instead of almond, melted butter instead of coconut oil, etc. But still fried in coconut oil for cooking.

Almond Cornmeal Pancakes aka Johnnycakes

Serves 2-3 people

Ingredients

  • 1 cup almond meal

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I used fine, could also use half coarse as half)

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

  • 1 egg

  • 1 1/4 cup (almond) milk

  • 3 tbsp agave (or maple syrup)=4 Tbsp sugar

  • 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or butter) + more for frying

  • Maple syrup, honey, agave, and almond butter -- to serve

Method

  1. Heat skillet or griddle to 300'F. Coat with coconut oil.

  2. In a large bowl, combine almond meal, cornmeal, baking soda, & salt. Add almond milk, egg, agave, and coconut oil and stir until a thick batter forms. Spoon batter onto your griddle -- mine were about 3 to 4 inches each. When bubbles begin to form and pop in the center of the cakes, flip. Cook 2 minutes more or until golden brown on each side and the center is fully cooked.

  3. Serve with almond butter or ghee and your favorite syrup.

No comments: