Saturday, December 1, 2012

Fish chowder with coconut milk


I was looking for a way to use up some braised Cuban tuna I had in the freezer (courtesy the White Dog Cookbook), and this was the perfect solution. Was in the mood for chowder, but wanted to try something dairy free. If I'd had some lemongrass I would have added that, too. Lots of flavor. For fish stock I just used benito flakes you use to make miso soup. Used sweet potato in place of yukon. I also doubled the amount of coconut milk, 'cause I like me my fats.

From Cybele Pascal, who does a lot of allergy-free cooking
http://cybelepascal.com/gluten-free-dairy-free-soy-free-fish-chowder/#

Makes 8 Servings

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
3 large stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
big pinch of dried thyme  [I used a few sprigs fresh]
2 teaspoons parsley flakes [I used a few tablespoons of fresh]
2 bay leaves
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 large Yukon Gold potato, skin on, diced into 1/2-inch cubes [I used sweet potato]
2 ear of fresh corn [I left this out]
8 peppercorns
8 cups fish stock (Kitchen Basics “Seafood Stock” is Shellfish-Free and Gluten-Free; see their allergen-statement)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 red bell pepper, diced [I left this out]
2-3 cups leftover cooked Cod Fish, and/or Haddock, and/or Flounder, flaked or cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup coconut milk, or rice milk (or heavy cream)
pinch of saffron

1. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, until onions have softened a bit. Add celery and carrots, cooking a few minutes more, until starting to soften. Add thyme, parsley, bay leaves, cayenne, and cook stirring until aromatic, about 2 minutes.

2. Increase heat to medium-high heat, and add white wine. Cook stirring, about 3 minutes, until reduced slightly. Add cubed potato, stirring to combine. Cut corn kernels off of cobs and add to pot. Add peppercorns. Cover all with fish stock, add salt, and few grindings of fresh pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Crumble in the saffron. Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes, until potato is softened. Add bell pepper, and fish, stirring gently to combine. Simmer about 15 minutes, until bell pepper is tender. Taste broth, and adjust salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste.

3. Add coconut milk (or rice milk, or heavy cream), and heat through until piping hot, without letting it boil. Ladle into bowls. This soup is even more delicious day two, so don’t fret the leftovers.

No comments: